Monday, July 7, 2008

Rich "loses his mind" and runs for the school board

I recently became a qualified write-in candidate for the Metro Nashville Board of Education. A recently retired executive of the state interscholastic sports association left this message on my phone yesterday, wondering why I'd decided to enter the race: "I bet you've lost your mind and run away from home and that's why I got your voicemail."

I forgot to tell him that I'm just following a long Haglund family tradition and trying to be involved (wasn't Grandpa on the school board in Cedar Rapids? My dad ran for our local school board (in Williamson County; just south of Nashville) not long after we moved to Tennessee.

There are nine districts, and 4 of those 9 seats are being contested in this election (the district has 75,000 students). There are five other candidates running for the same district I am, so I figure that it won't take more than 1,000 votes to win.

Check out my website (http://writeinrich.com) and blog (http://www.writeinrich.com/blog) and send me any comments!

2 comments:

Sam said...

My mom was on the school board in Kansas for many years.

M said...

Good luck, Rich!

Upcomming Birthdays